Procedure for Hiring Part-Time Instructors
There are two aspects to hiring a part-time instructor. First, you need to have approval to offer a particular course with part-time staffing (e.g., ECON 232 during Fall 2010). Second, you need to hire the actual person to teach that courses. The two processes are explained below. See pp. 36-38 of the Department Chair Handbook for more detailed information on titles for PT faculty and maintaining a roster of PT faculty.
Getting approval to offer a course with part-time staffing:
- Complete a Request for Temporary Appointment Form (=PT/Overload Request Form) by Aug. 25 for Spring term courses and by Jan. 10 for Fall term courses.
- At this point you are asking for authorization to offer the course through PT or Overload payment. As a result, you don't necessarily have to know the identity of the instructor at this point in time. In this case, please write "STAFF (PT)" or "STAFF (Overload)" in the Instructor column.
- If approved, course will be listed in the COL for preregistration.
- If this course will be staffed by a continuing PT instructor, you're done! If you need to hire a new PT instructor, you can now jump to step C below (steps A and B can be done beforehand).
Hiring a part-time instructor:
- Acquire CV and official transcripts. When you initially interview a candidate, you can ask for photocopies of transcripts. You might want to wait until the course has been approved (above), before you ask the candidate to supply official transcripts. Please remember, official transcripts are those sent directly from the institution to an office on campus or hand-delivered in a sealed envelope. Credentials cannot be approved until official transcripts have been received.
- Inform candidate that If hired, proof of identity and authorization to work in the US will be required on their first day of employment. Instructors will also be required to attend a 1.5 hour orientation session prior to the beginning of their first semester teaching at the College.
- Ask the candidate to complete the background disclosure and release forms (you can let the candidate know that although the form is labeled "Fair Credit Reporting Act Disclosure," we do not check credit; because we use a third party to do our background checks we are required by law to use their forms and language). Send these two forms to Human Resources (Robbie Irvin) with a note explaining that they are candidates from your department. HR will notify you when the background check is complete.
- When you have decided on whom you wish to hire, you can make a verbal offer. Lecturers are paid $2900 per TCU. Senior Lecturers and FT Faculty Overloads are paid $3100 per TCU.
- At the same time, submit a PT Credential form. If you're worried that approval of credentials might be in question, you can delay the verbal offer until credentials are approved or you can tell the candidate that the offer is contingent on approval of credentials.
- Once credentials are approved, the contract will be issued.
- Instructor name will be added to Datatel on/near August 1 or December 1. At that time the instructor's name can appear on the COL.