Student Learning through the Pathways Program
Students participating in the Pathways Program will:
- Critically reflect on experience from academic, personal/professional, and civic perspectives.
- Articulate learning gained through experience.
- Demonstrate effective reasoning or problem solving skills.
- Collaborate effectively.
- Synthesize knowledge in a final project or showcase.
A Model for Experiential Learning
David Kolb's model for experiential learning contains four key elements that interact in an interactive pattern:
- Concrete Experience-Doing or having the experience
- Reflective Observation-Reviewing or reflecting on the experience
- Abstract Conceptualization-Drawing conclusions, learning from the experiences
- Active Experimentation-Planning or trying out what was learned
In addition to the learning process, we envision the model
working at multiple interconnected levels including:
- Academic Content
- Personal/Professional Growth
- Long-term Societal Engagement