Application Procedures for Non-Roanoke College Programs

Procedures - Study Abroad Programs Not Affiliated with Roanoke College

Explore your Options

  1. Review the information on Roanoke College exchanges and affiliated programs that is on or linked to this website. If you are unable to find a program that meets your needs in terms of academic and cultural offerings, location, language of instruction, housing and meals arrangements, and opportunities for getting to know people from the host culture, make an appointment with the Assistant Director of International Education, Scott Couchman ( to explore other program options. Keep an open mind; some countries you might not initially consider might offer what you are looking for; a homestay may not be your first choice but might afford you a great deal of independence along with really great local cuisine.    

  2. Once you have found a program that meets your needs, discuss your program choice and course options with your academic advisor, who will need to approve your plans. 

  3. Discuss the academic and financial aspects of your plan with your parents.


To Apply

  1. Review the course offerings at your program or host institution. If you have difficulty finding course listings for your host institution, contact your program for guidance.

  2. Work with your academic advisor to make course selections that will be approved for RC credit. Complete your part of the Authorization for Study Abroad Transfer Credit form, listing the courses you intend to take and ask your academic advisor to list the RC course equivalent or area of credit for each. Sign the form yourself and then obtain signatures from your advisor, department chair, and the Director or Assistant Director of International Education, before submitting the form to the Registrar.

  3. You do not need to complete the Roanoke College study abroad application. You will need to take the Study Abroad Fee form to the Business Office with your nonrefundable $350 payment. This fee is due with your Authorization for Study Abroad Transfer Credit - Non-Roanoke College Program form.

  4. As a student attending an unaffiliated program with a completed Authorization for Study Abroad Transfer Credit form, you will only be allowed to travel with your Federal Financial Aid. In order to do this, we must have a completed consortium agreement on file. This is a form that you need to get from the Business or Financial Aid Office of the school or program that you will be attending abroad. On the form, Roanoke College's Office of Financial Aid will complete the "home institution" section identifying a date by which the host institution could expect to receive payment from federal financial aid. Once the federal aid has been posted to your Roanoke College account, the College will issue a credit refund to you or your parent depending upon whether they have borrowed a Parent PLUS Loan to cover your costs. The check will be mailed to the home address on file with the Registrar's Office. Once your family receives this credit refund, you are then be responsible for paying the host institution or program. A consortium agreement thereby allows you more time in paying your bill. Without it, the host will expect payment before the start of your program. 


Application Deadlines


March 15 is the deadline to apply for all unaffiliated study abroad programs for the following fall semester or full academic year.

October 15 is the deadline to apply for all unaffiliated study abroad programs for the following spring semester.