Safety, Health, and Travel Information
The Roanoke College Office of International Education monitors the U.S. State Department travel bulletins and we encourage you to do the same for countries in the region where you intend to study abroad. Travel safety information can be found at these websites:
These websites provide information on health and study abroad:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Traveler’s Health
- World Health Organization
- Council on International Educational Exchange, Pre-departure personal health assessment
- Mobility International, resources for travelers with disabilities
For study abroad destinations requiring immunizations, please contact the local Department of Health for an appointment.
Health, Travel, and Trip Cancellation insurance for overseas travel
Roanoke College does not endorse or recommend any specific insurance provider. When searching for coverage for participation in international programs, please carefully review all documentation regarding specific plans before you purchase. Below are some possible options for purchasing insurance:
Health, Travel, and Trip Cancellation insurance comparison website:
Pre-departure cultural adjustment and preparation resources:
Researching your host country before you leave will help you understand some of their culture and customs before you arrive.
- Library of Congress, Federal Research Division – Country Studies
- Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition
- U.S. State Department Country Specific Information
- CIA World Fact Book
Travel planning resources:
Budget travel guides such as Frommers, Lonely Planet, Let's Go, and Rough Guides are available from your local bookstore or online merchant.
Online student discount travel resources:
Online travel resources:
Information on European rail passes: