Assistance for Patrons with Disabilities
Fintel Library welcomes students with disabilities and is happy to work one-on-one with students to ensure their academic success while enrolled as Roanoke College students. The earlier you contact us, the more options we are able to consider in meeting your library needs. Upon admission to the College, or anytime thereafter, contact either: Patty Powell (375-2292) or Piper Cumbo (375-2295).
BUILDING ACCESSIBILITY / PARKING
- One handicapped parking space is available at the front entrance of Fintel Library, 220 High Street.
- A wheelchair ramp is located at the front entrance. Fintel Library has an automated front door.
- An elevator is located to your left as you enter.
- All restrooms are wheelchair accessible. The restrooms on the first floor (to the right as you enter) have been specially adapted, too.
- The first floor has one station for the online catalog with a slide-out keyboard at wheelchair height
- Each floor has either a study carrel or a table (at the proper height) designated for wheelchair users.
- A mechanical book grabber for reaching books in the stacks is available at the Lending Services Desk. Or, you may request shelf assistance from staff at either of the two service desks near the library entrance.
- Public and emergency phones are wheelchair accessible.
EQUIPMENT- An adjustable print enlarger for books (SmartView) is available; ask at the Center for Learning and Teaching.
- Fintel Library offers information about and can facilitate services provided via the "Talking Book Program" at the Melrose Branch of the Roanoke City Library", 2607 Salem Turnpike, (853-2648). This program is funded by the federal government and administered through the State of Virginia. One can identify audiobooks that are available at the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.
- Interlibrary Loan of Large-Print-Books and Audiobooks from other libraries is available.
- Another resource is The Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic
- Daisy.org digital accessible reading and publishing for all.
- Fintel Library owns over 2000 closed-captioned videos and DVDs. To locate the titles, search the Library Catalog under the subject "video recordings for the hearing impaired"
- Another Free resource is the Described and Captioned Media Program
ONLINE REFERENCE SERVICES
- Fintel Library's Catalog of materials (and many other Virginia libraries' catalogs) is online.
- Fintel Library offers access to thousands of online journals, books, indexes, and reference materials. All are available from the library homepage and many are available from off campus from this link: Call the reference desk 540 375 2295 if you have questions. .
- For assistance with connecting your personal computer to the campus network (to access the above library services) from your home or dorm, contact the Information Technology email@example.com
- American Sign Language Browser
- The Blind Readers' Page
- Disability Info.gov for one-stop information on Federal programs, services and resources for Americans with disabilities, their families, employers, and service providers.
- Training and Technical Assistance Center (T-TAC)
- Voice of the Blue Ridge
- WVTF Radio Reading Service