Fintel Library uses a simple formula as a guideline to set budget allocations for academic departments. The formula uses two primary factors in its calculations. The first factor is a department's average purchase cost per title and the second factor is circulation use by call number. In addition, the library includes in the formula a minimum dollar amount per faculty member for each department. Once the library determines the allocations then each department determines internally how funds are apportioned. Below is a simple outline of the process:
- Total available budget
- Less funds to be used for grants, reference materials, standing orders, etc.
- Equals funds available for department allocations
- Calculate the cost per use for each department (average purchase cost times circulation rate)
- Determine each department's percentage of the total cost per use amount for all departments
- Determine the minimum amount per faculty FTE for each department
- Total each department's cost per use percentage amount and its minimum allocation