Are you dissatisfied with the quality of your students’ bibliographies?
Are you tired of seeing only websites listed in the works cited page?
What should a Roanoke College graduate have/know about information in his/her major field of study???
- A curious attitude
- An enjoyment of browsing
- LC call number areas for the field and related interdisciplinary areas
- How to use a library catalog
- Specialized encyclopedias, subject dictionaries and biographical sources in the field
- Major journals in the field
- Relevant journal indexes and the basics of searching them effectively
- Proper citation style in this field
- When and how to use interlibrary loan
- Important practical tools such as career books and where jobs are listed, association directories, graduate school catalogs
- The most important Internet resources
- How to evaluate library and Internet sources for relevance, accuracy, and authority
- What plagiarism is
- How to integrate disciplinary information into written text
Librarians can assist in teaching these skills to your students. Schedule a research instruction class by calling X2295 or emailing Piper Cumbo at firstname.lastname@example.org.