- Campus Safety Office - 375-2310
- Salem Police, Fire and Rescue - 911
- Pull Fire Alarm and Call 911
- Evacuate the building using closest exit.
- Help others to evacuate.
- Do not use elevators
- Do not return to the building until all clear is given by Campus Safety or Fire Department.
- Contact Campus Safety - extension 2310
- Give name, location, describe emergency, and number of people injured
- Stay on the phone.
- Contact 911 if injury or illness appears immediately life threatening.
- Stay on the phone
- Follow instructions received by Maroon Alert system.
- Check e-mail, local media outlets, and RC web page for campus status.
- Seek safe shelter indoors.
- Shelter in place away from windows.
- If time permits go to the lowest level of building away from windows.
Suspicious Person / Activity
- Contact Campus Safety Immediately at extension 2310
- Give description of suspicious person.
- Give location or direction of travel of person.
- Stay on the phone with Campus Safety staff.
- Contact 911 / Campus Safety - 2310
- Follow instructions received by Maroon Alert.
- You will be notified whether to seek safe shelter in place or to evacuate.
Seeking Safe Shelter in your classroom, office, or room - Securing the area.
- Lock or barricade doors.
- Turn off lights.
- Close blinds / block windows.
- Turn off radios, TVs, and computer monitors.
- Keep occupants calm, quiet and out of sight.
- Keep yourself out of sight and take adequate protection / cover i.e. desks, file cabinets, concrete walls.
- Silence cell phone ringers
Un-Securing an Area
- Consider risks before un-securing rooms.
- Attempts to rescue people should only be attempted if it can be done without further endangering persons in a secure area.
- If doubt exists for the safety of people inside a secure room, the area should remain secure.
- Follow instructions of police, Campus Safety and first responders.
What to Report to Authorities
- Your specific location - Building name and room number.
- Number of people at your location.
- Injuries - number of injured and types of injuries of people at your location.
location and number of suspects.
Gender / race / physical features
Clothing description / backpack
Types of weapons if known.
Identity of shooter if known.