Roanoke College

Responding to a Distressed Student


For students that are mildly or moderately distressed you can choose to handle them in the following ways:

  1. Deal directly with the behavior/problem according to classroom protocol.

  2. Address the situation on a more personal level.

  3. Consult with a colleague, academic department head, Dean of Students Office, Chaplain's Office, or a campus professional at the Counseling Center.

  4. Refer the student to one of the Roanoke College resources. See the referral phone numbers on the front page of this guide.