What is it?
RCycles is an initiative of the Office of the President, RCSustain, and Fintel Library with support from East Coasters Bicycle Shop that provides the free use of bicycles to the Roanoke College campus community.
Bikes are good! Not only does commuting by bicycle helps curtail pollutants in the air. According to the WorldWatch Institute, A short, four-mile round trip by bicycle keeps about 15 pounds of pollutants out of the air we breathe .
A few bike parking vs. car parking statistics, courtesy of The League of American Bicyclists:
- Number of bikes that can be parked in one car parking space in a paved lot: 6 - 20.
- Estimated cost of constructing one parking space in a paved lot: $2,200.
- Estimated cost of constructing one parking space in a garage: $12,500.
Where is it, and how does it work?
It's simple. Come to the Lending Services desk in Fintel Library during regular operating hours, ask for a bike, present your RCID card, sign an RCycles Release form, and you will receive a key to the lock of one of five bikes that are parked in front of Fintel Library. You may also check out a helmet at the same time. You can keep the bike for ( 3) days. After three days, lock the bike back in the rack and return the key and helmet.
Who can participate?
RCycles is a service available only to Roanoke College students, faculty, and staff.
What about the Bikes?
They are all Belleville models manufactured by Trek Bicycle Company of Wisconsin. Inspired by the French porteur bikes of the mid-20th century, Belleville is designed front to back to reduce environmental impact. Fully equipped with front and rear racks, generator lights eliminate the need for wasteful batteries and the tires contain regrind and sustainable harvest rubber. The bike is a 3 speed with internal gears .
- Features a comfortable, upright riding position
- Available in 4 different sizes to fit nearly any rider.
- Oversized front and rear racks enhance utility and are perfect for heavier loads
- Natural rubber Bontrager H2 ECO tires are sourced from ISO 14001 producers and the rubber is certified sustainable harvest
- Front and rear generator lights are powered by pedaling
- Recyclable steel frame reduces vibrations for a smoother ride. Plus the pedals, fenders, chainguard, racks, and one-piece stem and handlebar are steel, too.