General Chemistry Lab Manual
The links below will allow you to download the current lab experiments for Chemistry 111 and 112. These experiment handouts are used by all lab instructors. All experiments are in Acrobat PDF format. If needed, download and install the free Adobe Acrobat Reader software on your computer.
For experiments which include Excel spreadsheets, copy the spreadsheet to your computer (save the file on your computer or on your Z: drive), then work with it on that computer. Note: Instructions in the lab manual have been designed for use with Excel 2007. Older versions of Excel (Excel 2003) will still be able to open these files, but the lab manual instructions will not work well with older versions of Excel.
Below are the links for the General Chemistry Lab Manual - Note: Access is limited to Roanoke College Faculty and Students - you will need to "sign in" to gain access once you click on a link.
Experiments for 2013-2014 Academic Year
- Introduction and Safety
- Experiment 1 - Fascinating Phenomena
- Experiment 2 - It's about Time
- Experiment 3 - Gas Chromatography
- Experiment 4 - Stoichiometry (Instructions for Using the Spec 20, Instructions for Graphing)
- Experiment 5 - Synthesis
- Experiment 6 - Reactions
- Experiment 7 - Gases
- Experiment 8 - Enthalpy
- Experiment 9 - UV-Vis Spectroscopy and Mass Spectrometry (Instructions for Using the Spec 20, Instructions for Graphing)
- Experiment 10 - Crime-Solving Chromatography
- Experiment 11 - IR and NMR Spectroscopy
- Experiment 12 - Computer Modeling
- Experiment 13 - Dilutions and Data Handling
- Experiment 14 - Intermolecular Forces
- Experiment 15 - Solutions and Conductivity
- Experiment 16 - Kinetics
- Experiment 17 - Enzyme Kinetics
- Experiment 18 - Equilibrium
- Experiment 19 - Acids, Bases, and Buffers
- Experiment 20 - Titrations
- Experiment 21 - Electrochemistry
- Experiment 22 - Aspirin Synthesis
- Experiment 23 - Aspirin Analysis
- Experiment 24 - TBA
- Experiment 25 - TBA
Additional Needed Resources
- Periodic Table
- Instructions for Using the pH Meter
- Instructions for Using the GeneSys 20 Spectrometers (Spectronic 20)
- Instructions for Volumetric Glassware
- Instructions for Graphing
- Instructions for Significant Figures
Experiment links above are for the 2013-2014 academic year! First semester lab begins with the Introduction and Experiment 1. Second semester lab begins with Experiment 13, which will be completed during the first week of classes. Be fully prepared for those experiments on your first scheduled lab day.
Award for the second that Melissa Carr '05 received in April. Alumna Susan Sine '90 received the Red Apple.
Upcoming EPIC Events Chemistry/Biochemistry
02/21/14, 3:30 pm, D. Aruguete
02/25/14, Noon, Poster Session
03/19/14, 7:00 pm, Movie
03/24/14, 7:00 pm, Fisher Lecture
See EPiC Calendar for more events.