General Chemistry Lab Manual
The links below will allow you to download the current lab experiments for Chemistry 111 and 112. These experiment handouts are used by all lab instructors. All experiments are in Acrobat PDF format. If needed, download and install the free Adobe Acrobat Reader software on your computer.
For experiments which include Excel spreadsheets, copy the spreadsheet to your computer (save the file on your computer or on your Z: drive), then work with it on that computer. Note: Instructions in the lab manual have been designed for use with Excel 2007. Older versions of Excel (Excel 2003) will still be able to open these files, but the lab manual instructions will not work well with older versions of Excel.
Below are the links for the General Chemistry Lab Manual - Note: Access is limited to Roanoke College Faculty and Students - you will need to "sign in" to gain access once you click on a link.
Experiments for 2012-2013 Academic Year
- Introduction and Safety
- Experiment 1 - Fascintating Phenomena
- Experiment 2 - Gas Chromatography
- Experiment 3 - It's About Time
- Experiment 4 - Synthesis
- Experiment 5 - Stoichiometry
- Experiment 6 - Reactions
- Experiment 7 - Gases
- Experiment 8 - Enthalpy
- Experiment 9 (Instructions for Using the Spec 20, Instructions for Graphing) - UV-Vis Spectroscopy and Mass Spectrometry
- Experiment 10 - Crime-Solving Chromatography
- Experiment 11 - IR and NMR Spectoscopy
- Experiment 12 - Computer Modeling
- Experiment 13 - Dilutions and Data Handling
- Experiment 14 - Intermolecular Forces
- Experiment 15 - Solutions and Conductivity
- Experiment 16 (Exp 16 Excel sheet) - Kinetics
- Experiment 17 (Exp 17 Excel sheet) - Enzyme Kinetics
- Experiment 18 - Equilibrium
- Experiment 19 - Acids, Bases, and Buffers
- Experiment 20 - Titrations
- Experiment 21 - Electrochemistry
- Experiment 22 - Aspirin Synthesis
- Experiment 23 - Aspirin Analysis
- Experiment 24 - TBA
- Experiment 25 - TBA
Additional Needed Resources
- Periodic Table
- Instructions for Using the pH Meter
- Instructions for Using the GeneSys 20 Spectrometers (Spectronic 20)
- Instructions for Volumetric Glassware
- Instructions for Graphing
- Instructions for Significant Figures
Experiment links above are for the 2012-2013 academic year! First semester lab begins with the Introduction and Experiment 1. Second semester lab begins with Experiment 13, which will be completed during the first week of classes. Be fully prepared for those experiments on your first scheduled lab day.
Samantha Strickland '08 has not only given herself a competitive edge on her graduate school applications, but also developed some ideas about what areas of research she might pursue later in her career.
Upcoming EPIC Events Chemistry/Biochemistry
See EPiC Calendar for more events.