Students are encouraged to engage in independent study and research projects while at Roanoke where they can work closely with faculty member in an area of mutual interest.
Engineering, math and physics students have studied and researched in these areas:
- Corrosion processes in materials (such as sunken ships) exposed to marine environments
- Radiation shields for NASA spacecraft
- The mathematics of a tennis serve
- Data compression using wavelets and Fourier Series
- Genetic and evolutionary algorithms