- Elementary Education (PreK-6)
- Visual Art Education (PreK-12)
- Music Education Vocal/Choral (PreK-12)
- Theatre Arts (PreK-12)
- Health and Physical Education (PreK-12)
- English (6-12)
- English as a Second Language (PreK-12)
- English and Speech Add-on (6-12)
- English and Journalism Add-on (6-12)
- Foreign Languages: French; German; Spanish (PreK-12)
- Mathematics (6-12)
- Algebra I Add-on (6-12)
- Computer Science (6-12)
- Science: Biology; Chemistry; Physics (6-12)
- History and Social Science (6-12)
- Teaching English as a Second Language
For those who already have an undergraduate degree
Elementary education licensure candidates must major in a liberal arts discipline (any major except business administration) as required by the Virginia State Board of Education. Secondary education candidates must complete a liberal arts major in the subject appropriate to their licensure area.
An advisor from the Education faculty, in addition to the major advisor, is required for all students seeking teacher licensure. Guidance in the selection of both General Education and elective courses is strongly advised. Consultation with both the Education and major advisor is necessary since requirements for licensure often differ from major requirements. Many secondary subjects require courses in addition to major courses for teacher licensure.
Honors courses will count in the same manner as General Education courses. For specific information, consult with the major advisor.
Kristi Hoffman extends learning outside the classroom with hands-on experiences