Our program brings an integrated approach to Environmental Studies, combining elements of the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities, while allowing each student to specialize in either Environment and Society or Environmental Science. Majors and Minors can be declared online.
Learning Outcomes for Roanoke College Environmental Studies Students
Graduates of the Roanoke Environmental Studies Program will be able to:
- Communicate effectively in written and oral formats for both professional and lay audiences.
- Explain major concepts and theories important to environmental studies that are drawn from the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities.
- Apply theories, professional skills, and methodologies to the analysis of current and historical environmental problems.
- Analyze environmental issues in terms of sustainability, including dimensions of personal values, social responsibility, economics, cultural feasibility, and science.
- Develop and implement solutions to or products that address environmental and resource concerns within the community
The college is experimenting with a trayless initiative in the Commons to promote environmental awareness among the college's community.