Student Resources and FAQs
Upcoming HPAG Events
|HealthPAG Information Night||September 16, 7:00 pm||Massengill Auditorium|
|Visit with WVSOM Admissions||September 19, 3:30 pm||Trexler 362|
Kaplan MCAT Prep Videos
The following is a link that will be of great service to Sophomores, Freshmen and future students. When preparing for the 2015 MCAT, please utilize these free videos. New videos will be added throughout 2014. Khan Academy Prep Videos.
Alpha Epsilon Delta
Alpha Epsilon Delta has a comprehensive collection of links that will be of interest to anyone planning a health professions career.
Student Activity Log
Please click on the following link to find a form that has been created to assist you in organizing the activities in which you have participated: HealthPag Student Activity Log
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does Health Professions Advisory Group help?
HPAG can help with the application process by advising which classes should be taken, reviewing your personal statement, conducting mock interviews, and writing letters of recommendation.
2. Which HPAG Advisor specializes in the which field?
- Medicine - Dr. Johann/Dr. Jorgensen
- Veterinarian - Dr. Jorgensen
- Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physician's Assistant - Dr. Rearick/Dr. Buriak
- Nursing - Dr. Morris
- Public Health - Dr. Allen
- Pharmacy - Dr. Hollis
- Dentistry - Dr. Crozier
- Optometry - Dr. Johann
- Genetic Counseling - Dr. Allen
- Nuclear Medicine - Dr. Johann
3. What classes do I need to have completed by the end of Junior Year if I want to apply to Medical School?
- Biology 120, 125
- Chemistry 111, 112, 221, 222
- Physics 103, 104
- Biochemistry 341
- Psychology 101
- Sociology 101
4. What should I major in?
Choose a major for which you have a passion. Do not choose a major because you believe it is what is required for a further education in the health care field. The goal is to have a degree in an major you love AND to complete any pre-requisites that your health career may have. Work with that specialty advisor to make sure you are meeting those pre-reqs!
5. How do I get an interview?
Contact the HPAG Secretary, Debbie Duncan (email@example.com) to schedule an interview
6. What classes are recommended for Pre Medical Students?
Please click on: HPAG Pre Medicine Recommendations
7. How do I get shadowing experience?
Contact Dr. Buriak (firstname.lastname@example.org) for opportunities in hospitals shadowing doctors, PAs, and even PT. For other fields, talk to the HPAG advisor for the field in which you are interested.
8. I am interested in going to pharmacy school, is there any useful information for me?
Please click on: HPAG Pre Pharmacy Recommendations
9. When should I take the MCAT if I'm interested in Medical School?
Take the MCAT at the end of your junior year.
10. I am interested in going to veterinary school, is there any useful information for me?
Please click on: HealthPAG Veterinary Resources
Say goodbye to ordinary introductory courses in the core curriculum.
Get a closer look at the exceptional facilities available to students at Roanoke College.