Majors, Minors & Concentrations
About the program
Ranked as one of 35 "great schools for psychology" by The Princeton Review, Roanoke College's psychology department focuses on this subject as a science. The small class size enables the department to offer top-notch training in research, analysis and other scientific skills that is often absent at large universities. Every psychology major, for example, learns firsthand how to conduct an experimental study. Many students go on to carry out independent research projects and present their findings at regional and national conferences. These experiences are invaluable for students to be accepted into graduate school.
Watch this video about our department
Why study psychology at Roanoke?
- Explore a wide range of courses. We offer an interesting variety of courses including child & adolescent development, creative thinking and problem solving, evolutionary psychology, and neuroscience.
- A solid foundation for life. Our student psychology majors graduate well prepared to enter challenging careers. More than 90 percent of graduates surveyed receive job offers or an acceptance to graduate school within six months of graduation. Students bound for graduate, medical, and other professional schools leave Roanoke with a high level of research and critical thinking experience.
- Gain firsthand research experience. The psychology department at Roanoke College offers exceptional training in research, analysis, and other scientific skills that is often absent at large universities. All psychology majors design and conduct their own experiments.
- Gain work experience in the field. Many of our majors participate in internships. Students intern in community agencies, schools, hospitals, clinics and other businesses relevant to the field of psychology.
Explore psychology firsthand
There are many opportunities for Roanoke psychology majors to gain firsthand experience that will qualify them for careers and graduate school.
- Research Experience
- Intensive Learning May Term
- Undergraduate Research Assistant Program
- Summer Scholars
Want to know more?
- Prospective Students
- Faculty and Staff
- Majors, Minor, and Concentrations
- Course Information
- Research and Internships
- Handbook for Psychology Majors
- Graduate School and Career Opportunities
- Information, Links, and Resources
- Alumni Webpage
- Psychology Department facebook page
Students' writing will focus on eastern and western religions, chaos theory, happiness, self-esteem, meditation, neuroscience and the placebo effect.