About the Program
Students investigate the causes and impact of crime, as well as methods of controlling criminal behavior.
Why study Criminal Justice at Roanoke College?
- Balance. Roanoke strikes a well-balanced approach-emphasizing a deep exploration of criminal justice issues and practices, as well as exceptional core communication and problem-solving skills.
- Perspective. With the primary spotlight on civil and criminal law, the major approaches criminality through political, sociological, scientific and psychological perspectives.
- Focus. At Roanoke, students have the flexibility to zero in on criminal justice coursework and opportunities that match their particular interests and goals.
- Roanoke offers students outstanding internship opportunities with regional police departments, probation offices, commonwealth attorney's offices, immigration centers and more.
- Further, Roanoke's Washington Semester gives students the chance to complete federal internships with agencies such as the U.S. Marshall Service, Secret Service, U.S. Probation Office, and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.
- Criminal justice students engage with speakers who come to campus through the Fowler and Turk lecture series. Past guests include Sister Helen Prejean, author of Dead Man Walking and a leading advocate for the abolition of the death penalty; Piper Kerman, author of Orange is the New Black; and Mary Badham, the actress known for her role as Scout in the 1962 film To Kill a Mockingbird.
- Students can complete in-depth research through independent studies, as well as funded research in the Summer Scholars and Undergraduate Research Assistants programs.
- Short- and long-term travel experiences are available through May Term and Study Abroad.
Criminal justice majors at Roanoke go on to careers in law enforcement, criminology, government, executive management, protective services, law and social work. Students are also well prepared to enter into graduate programs in criminal justice and related fields. Learn more.
Say goodbye to ordinary introductory courses in the core curriculum.
Get a closer look at the exceptional facilities available to students at Roanoke College.