C. Randolph Benson Award
This award is presented annually by the sociology faculty to the senior who has made the greatest overall contribution to the sociology program. It is named after Dr. C. Randolph Benson, noted scholar on sociological theory and long-time chairperson of this sociology department. Recognition is given at the spring honors banquet and at commencement.
Alpha Kappa Delta Award
A prize awarded annually to a senior sociology major who is a member of Alpha Kappa Delta and who most exemplifies the objective of AKD: "to Promote an interest in the study of sociology, research or social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition.
Community Service Award
A prize awarded annually to a senior sociology major who has contributed significantly to the local community through work in social services, social justice, and community issues.
The Outstanding Student in the Health Care Delivery Concentration
A prize awarded annually to a senior whose work has been most outstanding in the health care delivery concentration. The minimum grade point average is 3.2.
The Outstanding Student in Information Analysis Concentration
A prize awarded annually to a senior whose work has been most outstanding in the information analysis concentration. The minimum grade point average is 3.2.
The Outstanding Student in the Anthropology Concentration
A student whose academic work in the anthropology concentration has been most outstanding. In order to be considered, a student must have at least a 3.2 grade point average in the concentration and must have completed at least two-thirds of the concentration courses at Roanoke College. (Selected by anthropology faculty. No application required.)
The Outstanding Student in Crime, Deviance, and Social Control Concentration
A prize awarded annually to a senior whose work has been most outstanding in the crime, deviance, and social control concentration. The minimum grade point average is 3.2.
Margaret Mead Leadership Award
An award given annually for outstanding leadership and service in contribution to anthropology and cultural awareness at Roanoke College. (Selected by anthropology faculty. No application required.)
The following is a list of paper and award competitions for which sociology majors are eligible. Majors are encouraged to consider entering these competitions. More information can be obtained from any sociology faculty member.
- Franz Boas Anthropology Paper Prize: A prize awarded annually to the author of the paper judged by a faculty panel to be most outstanding in its demonstration of analytical acuity, clarity of writing, and capacity to contribute to anthropological scholarship. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Gregory L. Weiss Paper Prize: A prize awarded annually to the author of a paper judged by the sociology faculty to be most outstanding in its demonstration of the conceptual and/or analytical reasoning of a sociological question or problem, and not simply a reflection of an effort to learn more about or to describe a particular topic. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Roanoke College Henry H. Fowler Student Public Policy Paper Competition: Awards of $1,500, $1,000, and $500 (or twice those amounts in scholarship form) presented for the outstanding 20 to 50 page paper addressing any local, state, national, or international public policy issue. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Roanoke College Alpha Kappa Delta and International Alpha Kappa Delta Student Paper Competition: A certificate and possible nomination for the international competition presented for the outstanding sociological (empirical, theoretical, or critical review of a body of literature) paper (35 page maximum) submitted by an AKD member. Prizes in international competition are: $500, $250, and $100 and possible publication in Sociological Inquiry. Click here for more information.
- Virginia Social Science Association Student Essay Competition: A year's membership in the VSSA and an opportunity to present the paper at the annual meeting of the VSSA and consideration for publication in the Virginia Social Science Journal presented for the outstanding paper (20 page maximum) addressing a significant topic in social science. Click here for more information.
- Southern Sociological Society Odum Award Competition: A $100 cash award presented for the outstanding sociology paper written by an undergraduate student. Nomination must be made by a faculty member. Click here for more information.