A student can complete the Intensive Learning requirement by undertaking an independent study or internship. However, the student can take no other course while completing the IL independent study or IL internship, and must receive permission from the General Education Director.
A student will typically complete an IL Independent Study or IL Internship during May or during summer. The summer term of study would coincide with Summer I (June), Summer II (July) , or Summer III (June and July).
IL Independent Study and IL Internshipmay be used by students who are unable to take a course during the regular May term because of work and family obligations or other personal reasons and for students who prefer to do a substantial research project outside of class though in close collaboration with a supervising instructor. In either case, applicants must show that their proposed internship or independent project meets all of the IL requirements. Permission is not automatic, so applicants must state the case persuasively.
Procedures to apply for an IL Independent Study or IL Internship
- Develop a topic of study or work experience.
- Find an instructor who would be willing to supervise the IL Independent Study or IL Internship.
- Write a well-crafted proposal outlining the topic of the independent study or internship, including a timeline for its completion and a working bibliography of resources.
- Review the proposal it with the instructor and revise as needed.
- Complete the application cover form.
- Obtain signatures on the application cover form from the supervising instructor and from the chair of the department under whose auspices the work is to be conducted.
- Submit the signed application (with typed proposal) to Associate Dean Gail Steehler.
For an application form and more information on IL Independent Study and IL Internship, click a link below:
Return the Completed request to Associate Dean Gail Steehler
- November 15 for an IL Independent Study or IL Internship to be completed during Spring term. (For students who are not enrolled in courses during the period of study.)
- April 1 for an IL Independent Study or IL Internship to be completed during May term.
- April 15 for an IL Independent Study or IL Internship to be completed during Summer term. Please specify Summer I (June), Summer II (July), or Summer III (June and July).