On-Campus Presentation Opportunities
At least twice a year, Roanoke College sponsors on-campus presentation opportunities for student researchers.
Apply to present at the Friday, November 22, 2013 Showcase (webform) 6-8pm in Fintel Library. Deadline: November 8.
Apply to present at the Friday, April 11, 2014 Showcase (webform) 6-8pm in Fintel Library. Deadline: March 28.
Program for the 2013 Showcase of Experiential Learning (Friday, September 27, 2013).
Program for the 2013 Showcase of Research & Creativity (Friday, April 12, 2013)
Program for the 2012 Showcase of Research & Creativity (Friday, September 28, 2012)
Program for the 2012 RC Conference on Student Research & Creativity (March 30, 2012)
Program for the 2011 Student/Faculty Showcase of Research & Creativity (Friday, September 30, 2011)
Program for 2011 RC Conference on Student Research & Creativity (Saturday, March 19, 2011)
Off-Campus Presentation Opportunities
National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR)
NCUR is the largest national undergraduate research conference in the nation. Roanoke College will be taking a large group of students to present at NCUR this year. From the NCUR website:
"The National Conferences on Undergraduate Research (NCUR), established in 1987, is dedicated to promoting undergraduate research, scholarship, and creative activity in all fields of study by sponsoring an annual conference for students. Unlike meetings of academic professional organizations, this gathering of young scholars welcomes presenters from all institutions of higher learning and from all corners of the academic curriculum. Through this annual conference, NCUR creates a unique environment for the celebration and promotion of undergraduate student achievement, provides models of exemplary research and scholarship, and helps to improve the state of undergraduate education."
"Student presentations are welcome in all fields and disciplines from the creative and performing arts to biomedical, engineering, and social science research. The National Conferences on Undergraduate Research provides a wonderful opportunity for your students: (1) to meet peers and faculty from around the country working in similar research fields; (2) to learn about how research and scholarship is conducted in a wide range of fields from the humanities and creative arts to the life sciences and engineering; (3) to learn about graduate school and employment opportunities from our presenters; and (4) to develop presentation skills. All student abstracts and applications will be reviewed by a faculty committee from the host institution. Students presenting at the National Conference have the option of doing either an oral or poster presentation."
Timeline for NCUR 2014
- Call for Applications and Abstracts Postcard September 10, 2013
- Online submission opens September 30, 2013
- Deadlines for Applications and Abstracts December 6, 2013 11:59pm ET
- Review of Submissions Dec. 3, 2013- Jan 7, 2014
- FAN Submission (faculty) Deadline Dec. 14, 2013
- Online Registration Opens January 15, 2013
- Notification of Decision on Abstracts December 22, 2013- January 14, 2014
- Deadline for Early Conference Registration February 14, 2014
- Deadline for Conference Registration March 14, 2014
- Hotel Reservation Deadline March 14, 2014 (Note: RC students and faculty will stay together at the Red Roof Inn--North. Reservations have already been made.)
- NCUR 28 Conference April 3-6, 2014
Please let Dr. Lyon know if you are interested in attending. She will coordinate all payments and logistics of the trip.
Dean's Travel Fund
We provide financial support for students to present their research at regional, national, and international conferences. Students are eligible to apply for up to $500 from the Dean's Travel Fund to offset their travel costs. To apply, complete this travel form. (.doc) In 2012-2013, 85 students presented their work at off-campus conferences.
Before submitting an abstract to a conference
1. Identify conference and check deadlines - check research calendar for a list of upcoming conferences
After submitting an abstract to a conference but before you are accepted
2. Submit a "Budget Request Form" to email@example.com.
Note: Wait for approval before spending any money on the conference
3. Find additional funding from other sources (e.g., department chair, concentration coordinator, faculty supervisor, mom and dad)
4. Receive email approval from Dr. Lyon.
5. Pick up a Student Travel Packet from Dr. Lyon (West 238)
After being accepted to the conference but before going
6. Register for the conference (print receipt)
7. Reserve a room (print confirmation)
8. Make travel plans (if flying, book flight and print receipt)
9. Submit "Check Request Form" with attached receipts to Dr. Lyon
10. Pack for the trip (see "Pack This!" sheet)
During your trip
11. Keep all itemized receipts and store in the student travel packet.
Note: An itemized receipt includes everything you purchased. For example, at a restaurant, the itemized receipt includes all of the food and drinks you purchased. Keep any credit card signature slips and write down tips that you paid.
12. Ask for a printout of your hotel bill upon checkout.
13. Have someone take a picture of you presenting.
After you return
14. Complete the "Travel - Expense Report" form
15. Return the student travel packet (with expense report and all receipts) to Dr. Lyon in West 238.
16. Respond to interview requests from the RC Research blogger who will write a blog post about your trip for rcresearch.org. You will provide a picture to the blogger.
The Fine Print: ·
- $500 per student per year is the maximum funding available from Dr. Lyon. Search for additional funding from other sources to cover the rest of the cost of your trip.
- We use a reimbursement system. This means that you must spend the money first and then be reimbursed.
- If you do not have a credit card or do not want to use yours, your faculty advisor can pay and be reimbursed for your expenditures.
- You may borrow a Roanoke College credit card from the Business Office (see Donna Thomas on the second floor to check one out). However, you may not spend above the approved amount.
- Unfortunately, we cannot give you a travel advance.
- Please direct all questions about this procedure to firstname.lastname@example.org.