Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements


In order to be academically eligible to receive financial assistance from federal, state, or College programs, students must be degree seeking and making satisfactory academic progress in their course of study.  All entering students at Roanoke College, including those returning after a period of academic suspension, are admitted with the confidence that they will make satisfactory progress.

Student recipients of the Trustee Award, Presidential Award, Dean's Award, Faculty Award, Maroon Award, Trustee Transfer Scholarship, Dean's Transfer Scholarship, Presidential Transfer Scholarship, Faculty Transfer Scholarship, Special Recognition Grant, Bolton Award, Kizer Award, Lutheran Grant, Transfer Grant, RC Supplemental Grant, Visit Roanoke Grant or the RC Supplemental Award must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.0 after each academic year.

Recipients of the following programs will have two full years to achieve the minimum cumulative grade point average requirements. Recipients must have attained the following cumulative grade point average, as indicated:



Beard Scholarship

Bittle Scholarship

3.3 for all grade levels


Dreher Scholarship

Morehead Scholarship

Bowman Scholarship

Baughman Scholarship

Roanoke College Scholarship

Trustee Scholarship

Presidential Scholarship

Dean's Scholarship

Faculty Scholarship

Maroon Scholarship

Semi-Finalist Award

Achievement Award

Other Roanoke College Scholarships


3.00 for all grade levels



Oberley Scholarship recipients are required to achieve a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 and can maintain eligibility for a maximum of two years.

The Roanoke College Honors Scholarship is reinstated for each semester of continued participation in the Honors Program as determined by the Director of the Honors Program.  The Roanoke College Music Scholarship is reinstated for each semester of continued participation in the music/choral program as determined by the Fine Arts Department.   Eligibility for the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant, the Virginia College Scholarship Assistance Program, Tuition Exchange, and all College funded aid is limited to four years, or 8 semesters.  With the exception of the Beard Scholarship, College dollars and the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant are limited to the cost of tuition.  The Beard Scholarship covers tuition and standard room and board charges.

If a student does not attain the minimum required grade point average by the end of the academic year, and is academically eligible to re-enroll (as determined by the Registrar of the College), financial aid programs are automatically reduced on a percentage basis and re-instated.  Please consult the Financial Aid Office for further information.  Federal and state aid programs are automatically reinstated for students placed on their first academic warning, assuming financial eligibility is maintained.  Students who are placed on their second semester of academic warning will lose eligibility for federal financial aid programs such as PELL, SEOG, Federal Work-Study and Federal loan programs (Direct Stafford, PLUS and Perkins).

Students are reviewed for satisfactory academic progress at the end of Spring term.  In cases of unsatisfactory progress, affected programs will be reduced.  Any reduction in assistance may be appealed through the Financial Aid Office.  Only compelling non-academic reasons will be considered.  In cases of less than satisfactory academic progress, reinstatement of aid in full is exceptional and is based on unusual circumstances that must be outlined clearly in a letter from the student.  Letters from parents will not be accepted. New or returning students entering in January are reviewed for satisfactory academic progress at the end of the Spring term.

The maximum time frame during which a student may complete the degree and retain academic eligibility for federally regulated programs is six years for a full-time student and 12 years for a half-time student.  This period is proportionately altered for a student who changes her/his enrollment status from term to term.  A student must have earned at least enough units to complete the proportionate percentage of the time frame at the end of a year of enrollment - 1/6 at the end of the first year, 2/6 at the end of the second year, and so forth for a full-time student.


Admissions Events

Admissions Dates & Deadlines