How can I secure a Federal Direct PLUS Loan?
All NEW PLUS Borrowers for Fall and Spring must complete BOTH of the following items:
- Complete the Federal PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- Go to www.studentloans.gov.
- Click on the green “Sign In” button located on the upper left-hand side of the screen.
- Supply their social security number, the first 2 characters of their last name, their birth-date and their federally issued PIN (same number they used to complete the FAFSA). Once they have typed in this information, click on the “Sign In” button.
i. Don’t have a PIN? Don’t remember their PIN? Click on the link to the PIN site right below the “Sign In” button. Your parent will have to supply their identifying information to have a PIN generated.
d. Confirm that the personal information is up to date and select preference for future correspondence on the right-hand side of the screen. If an e-mail address is supplied, copies of the documents submitted will electronically be sent for their records. We HIGHLY recommend that you complete this section.
e. Click on the “Complete MPN” link on the left-hand side of the screen.
f. Select Parent PLUS
g. Complete the Master Promissory Note
h. Once they have reviewed and signed their MPN, they are finished with this portion of the application process and can log out of the website.
i. NOTE: A credit check will be performed once the MPN has been submitted. They will be notified via email (if it was supplied in Step #4). They may also log back into www.studentloans.gov after 1 – 2 hours to retrieve the credit decision. Roanoke College will automatically be notified of your credit decision.
1. If they are approved, and have returned the PLUS Loan request form, Roanoke College will proceed with the processing of a Federal Direct PLUS Loan.
2. If they are denied, Roanoke College will automatically award any additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan funds for which the student may be eligible and will send a revised financial aid award letter.
- Complete and return the “Federal Direct PLUS Loan Request Form”
- This document may be faxed to our office at (540) 375-2267 or mailed to the Financial Aid Office, 221 College Lane, Salem, VA 24153.