How can I secure a Federal Direct PLUS Loan?
All NEW PLUS Borrowers for Fall and Spring must complete BOTH of the following steps:
Complete the "Request Direct PLUS Loan" online OR complete and return the "Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Request Form" (attached)
A. If you choose to complete the "Request Parent PLUS Loan" online and receive a credit decision within 2 hours, you must do the following:
1. Log into www.studentloans.gov and click "Sign In" supply the borrowing parent's social security number, the first 2 characters of the parent's last name, birth-date and the parent's federally issued PIN (same number used to complete the FAFSA). Once you have typed in this information, click on the "Sign In" button.
· Don't have a PIN? Don't remember the parent's PIN? Click on the link to the PIN site right below the "Sign In" button. The parent applying for the loan will have to supply their identifying information to have a PIN generated.
2. Confirm that the "Personal Information", on the right side of the screen, is up to date. If an e-mail address is supplied, copies of the documents submitted will electronically be sent for your records. We HIGHLY recommend that you complete this section.
3. Click "Request Direct PLUS Loan" link on the left hand side of the screen.
· Select "Parent PLUS" and supply ALL requested information on the four screens (when indicating the requested loan amount, remember that the Department of Education will deduct 4.292% processing fees from the amount requested).
· NOTE: A credit check will be performed once the loan application has been submitted. You will be notified via email. You may also log back into www.studentloans.gov after 1 - 2 hours to retrieve the credit decision. Roanoke College will automatically be notified of the credit decision.
4. If approved, complete step 2 if you have not previously completed the Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note. If denied, Roanoke College will automatically award any additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan funds for which your student may be eligible and will send a revised financial aid award letter to the student.
B. If you choose to complete the attached "Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Request Form", this document may be faxed to our office at (540) 375-2267 or mailed to the Financial Aid Office.
Complete the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN)
A. Go to www.studentloans.gov and click "Sign In" button. Supply the borrowing parent's information and parent's federally issued PIN. Once you have typed in this information, click on the "Sign In" button.
B. Click on the "Complete MPN" link on the left-hand side of the screen and select "Parent PLUS"
C. Complete the Master Promissory Note and make sure the parent reviews and signs their MPN.