What steps do I need to do to obtain a Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized or Unsubsidized)?
All students who are NEW to Roanoke (starting in Fall or Spring) or students who have never borrowed through the Federal Stafford Loan program before must complete the following steps:
- Go to www.studentloans.gov.
- Click on the green "Log In" button located on the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- Supply your (student's)"Username (or Verified E-Mail Address)" and "Password". NOTE: this is not your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Once you have typed in this information, click on the
- "Log In" button.
- Don't have or remember your username or password? Click on the link to the FSA ID site to the left of the "Log In" button. You will have to supply some identifying information to create an FSA ID and password.
- You may retrieve your forgotten username and/or password under the "Edit My FSA ID" tab.
- Confirm that your personal information is up to date and select your preference for future correspondence on the right-hand side of the screen. If you supply your e-mail address, copies of the documents you submit will electronically be sent to you for your records. We HIGHLY recommend that you complete this section.
- Click on the "Complete Entrance Counseling" link on the left-hand side of the screen. Review the steps presented and click on the "Complete Entrance Counseling" link in the middle of the screen
- You should read the information presented to you thoroughly. Information about your rights and responsibilities in repaying this loan will be outlined. You will also be quizzed about the information presented through-out the counseling.
- Be prepared to provide the name, address and phone numbers for two individuals (one can be a parent) within the U.S. to list as your next of kin and as a reference.
- Once your entrance counseling is completed, you should click on the "You can submit a Master Promissory Note" link. (Make sure to supply ALL of the requested information)
- Your promissory note will only need to be completed once while you are here at Roanoke College. All subsequent loans will be processed using this same application.
- Once you have reviewed and signed your Master Promissory note, you are finished and can log out of the website.