David W. Robinson Esq. '19

David W. Robison Esquire was a native of Lincolnton, North Carolina, and received his secondary education in the public schools of Columbia, South Carolina. He enrolled in Roanoke College and received his A.B. degree in 1919. He pursued the study of law at the University of South Carolina and was awarded the LL.B. degree in 1921. Robinson also attended Harvard Law School as a special student.

Robinson was the general counsel for the Federal Power Commission from 1939-1940, and was an intelligence officer in the 8th Air Force during World War II. After his service to his country, Robinson began his law career. He has been called one of South Carolina's "most distinguished attorneys." He was a member of the Judicial Council of South Carolina, President of the South Carolina State Bar, and was the past president of the South Carolina Bar Association.

Robinson was a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, and was also a member of the Governor's committee to study education. He served on the South Carolina Educational Finance Committee, and was a member of the Columbia Art Museum Commission for more than ten years.

Robinson's other civic activities include Chairman of the Municipal-County Consolidation Committee and a member of the Board of Directors of the YMCA in North and South Carolina. He worked as a member of the Board of Directors of the Carolina Orphan Home and the Community Chest. Robinson was named an Elder of the Eastminster Presbyterian Church in Columbia, South Carolina, was chairman of the Bequest Committee Presbyterian Church of the United States, and was a former trustee of the Presbyterian College in Clinton, South Carolina.

David W. Robinson was awarded the Roanoke College Medal on April 8, 1968 for his distinctive service and professional achievement. Robinson and his wife, Susan Gibbes Robinson raised three children together; D.W. Robinson, Jr., Carolina Robinson Ellerbe, and Heyward Gibbes Robinson.