George A. Kegley '49
George A. Kegley was a native of Wythe County, and spent almost his entire life in Southwest Virginia. He graduated from Roanoke College in 1949 with his bachelor's degree and began working at the Roanoke Times and World-News that same year. Kegley served two years in the U.S. Army stationed at Ft. Knox, Kentucky before returning to Roanoke.
Once returning to Roanoke, Kegley began his career with the Roanoke paper, which started in 1949 and included a variety of positions. He ended his career as business editor of the Roanoke Times, and also served as the editor of the Virginia Lutheran and the Journal of the Roanoke Valley Historical Society.
Kegley was a member of the Roanoke Historical Society and Kappa Alpha Fraternity. He was the director of the Virginia History Federation, and the Shenandoah Valley Folklore Society, and the Roanoke City Rescue Mission. He was also a member of the Ryland Heads Library Board. He was extremely active with the American Red Cross, donating 20 gallons of blood, and was the first person to do this in the Appalachian Region of the American Red Cross Blood Service. As a reporter, he covered the planning and opening of the Red Cross blood program in Roanoke.
George A. Kegley was married to Louise Fishburn Fowlkes Kegley, and together they raised four children together; Andy Kegley, Mary Louise Kegley, Robert Kegley, and Richard Kegley.