What steps do I need to do to obtain a Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized or Unsubsidized)?
NOTE: If you received funds from the Direct Stafford loan program during the 2010/2011 or the 2011/2012 academic years while enrolled at Roanoke College, then you DO NOT need to complete a new promissory note. Simply review your award letter and notify our office in writing if you wish to reduce the loans awarded to you.
The following steps are REQUIRED for returning students who have not received loan funds through the Federal Direct Loan program since the Fall of 2010:
- Go to www.studentloans.gov.
- Click on the green "Sign In" button located on the upper left-hand side of the screen.
- Supply your (student's) social security number, the first 2 characters of your last name, your birth-date and your federally issued PIN (same number you used to complete the FAFSA). Once you have typed in this information, click on the "Sign In" button.
- Don't have a PIN? Don't remember your PIN? Click on the link to the PIN site right below the "Sign In" button.
- You will have to supply your identifying information to have a PIN generated for you.
- Confirm that your personal information is up to date and select your preference for future correspondence on the right-hand side of the screen. If you supply your e-mail address, copies of the documents you submit will electronically be sent to you for your records. We HIGHLY recommend that you complete this section.
- Click on the “Complete MPN” link on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Select Subsidized/Unsubsidized.
- Complete the Master Promissory Note
- Once you have reviewed and signed your Master Promissory note, make sure to print a copy for your records. Once this is done, you are finished and can log out of the website.