Campus Buildings Have Historic Significance
Six buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places
With six buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Roanoke College proves to be a place rooted deep in history.
“It is an important reminder of our history and educational legacy and the need to be mindful of that 19th century presence and our beginnings. Nationally significant historic property is something we are proud of,” says Dr. Mark Miller, professor of history.
The National Register of Historic Places was authorized in 1896 and is administered by the National Park Service. As the official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation, the National Register works to identify, evaluate and protect sites deemed to be historic and archeological resources.
The campus buildings listed in the National Register include Monterey, the Old Roanoke County Courthouse and the Main Campus Complex. The Main Campus Complex includes the Administration building, Miller Hall, Trout Hall and Bittle Hall.
Built in 1853 in Greek revival style, Monterey was designed by architects Eubank and Caldwell. Monterey has been used for a variety of purposes including a hotel, medical facility, fraternity house and rooming house. As of 1920 it served as a private residence until the College’s purchase of it in 2002. Currently it serves as the College’s guest house and meeting space.Built in 1910 by Henry Huggins, the Old Roanoke County Courthouse is an example of classical revival style. The building served Roanoke County until 1985 and was purchased by the College in 1987. Now known as Francis T. West Hall, this building has been described as one of the best examples of Beaux Art architecture in the state of Virginia. Today the building contains classrooms and faculty offices.
The centerpiece of the College, the Administration building was built in 1848 in Gothic and Greek revival style by Joseph Deyerle. In its time with the College, the building has served a variety of purposes hosting classrooms, a Chapel, dorms, library and gymnasium. Today the building is home to many offices including the dean’s office and president’s office.
As the second oldest building on campus, Miller Hall was built in 1857 in the neoclassical style. The building was named for Michael Miller of Roanoke County who donated the money needed for its construction. By the turn of the 20th century Miller Hall was the first building with electricity and plumbing. The building housed science classrooms until 1970 and has recently been renovated to hold general classrooms and faculty offices.
The third oldest building on campus, Trout Hall was named after John Trout of Roanoke County for his donation of money needed for its construction. Built in 1867, this building is an example of neoclassical style. The building has held a chapel, boys preparatory school, a debate parlor, classrooms and offices. Having recently been renovated, the building now houses faculty offices and classrooms.
A fine example of Gothic revival style, Bittle Hall served as the College’s first library upon its completion in 1878. As of 1962 a new library was opened and Bittle hall was converted to the office of student affairs until its being leased in 1983 to the Lutheran Church. Today it serves as the office of the Virginia Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and its bishop. It also houses the Synod’s archives.