Roanoke College

Men's Lacrosse Team Played in NCAA Semifinals

SALISBURY, MD--Playing in the NCAA Division III men's lacrosse semifinals, the Roanoke College Maroons had their season come to an end with a 13-11 loss to #1 ranked, and two-time defending national champion Salisbury University on Sunday afternoon. The Maroons have their season end with a 15-3 overall record. Salisbury advances to the national championship game and will take a perfect 19-0 record into that contest.

The Maroons fell behind 5-2 early in the game, but staged a second-quarter comeback that saw them take a 7-6 lead into the half. The Sea Gulls scored the first three goals of the game before Roanoke's Matt Duke scored an unassisted tally. The host squad went up 4-1, but Duke again answered for the Maroons, scoring off of a Tug Schroeder feed.

Salisbury midfielder Justin Smith, who had the first two goals of the game, scored the first goal of the second quarter to give the Sea Gulls a 6-2 edge. With the game seemingly out of hand, the Maroons mounted a furious comeback.

Dan Reed scored an unassisted goal with 10:09 left in the second quarter and then assisted on a Zack Thomas goal just under minute later to make the score 6-4. Thomas wasn't done, getting an unassisted score off of a move from behind the cage, and Chris Keating scored with 2:14 left in the half to even the score. Keating's goal came after sophomore attackman Jon Mason was stripped of the ball. Mason regained control behind the cage and immediately found a slashing Keating.

Keating wasn't done either, getting a fastbreak unassisted goal with 1:26 left in the first half to give the Maroons their first lead of the game.

The Maroons put themselves in a hole to start off the third period, getting a late second period penalty to give SU a man-up to start the second half. Smith capitalized on that man-up attempt to even the score and then netted his fifth goal of the game, that with 2:13 left in the third and also with an extra-man, to give Salisbury an 8-7 lead headlining into the fourth.

The first four minutes of the fourth quarter was an offensive display. The two teams combined to score six times before the quarter was four minutes old. Jon Mason scored on a loose ball, following a failed SU clear, to even the score at eight. Less than a minute later Mike Edwards recaptured the lead for Salisbury, but 36 seconds later Adam Leahy ripped an eight-yard shot past the SU keeper to make the score 9-9. Leahy finished a pass from Reed, who had beaten defender Sean White behind the cage.

Matt Dasinger scored the second of his three goals 53 seconds later to again put the hosts up by one, but on the ensuing face-off, Roanoke's Nick Derby won possession, moved into the box, and beat Salisbury keeper Dan Korpon for the game-tying goal. After the Maroons got possession of the ball on the next face, the Leahy from Reed connection clicked again, giving the Maroons an 11-10 lead with 11:30 to play in the contest.

Attempting to hold the lead late in the game, the Maroons committed three costly turnovers, allowing the Sea Gulls several opportunities on the offensive end. The Gull scored the final three goals of the game, all in the final 7:45 of the contest to pull out the win.

Matt Madalon made 14 saves in cage for the Maroons, 10 coming in the second half of play, 12 in the final 45 minutes of action. Zack Thomas led the Maroons with five groundballs and also added two goals. Dan Reed completed his final college game with a goal and three assists.