Editor's Advisory: New Entrance At Peery Drive To Be Dedicated Friday, August 19
SALEM, VA—Roanoke College dedicates its latest construction project, a new entrance at Peery Drive and Thompson Memorial Drive today. President Sabine U. O’Hara will speak at a brief ceremony behind the brick arcade at the intersection of Peery Drive and High Street. The new four-lane, tree-lined Peery Drive connects to High Street, giving the college and the community an improved traffic pattern for this busy intersection. These improvements were funded by Roanoke College, with the assistance of generous donations from dedicated benefactors, at no cost to Salem taxpayers.
In addition to dedication of the public street, two areas will be named for Roanoke College alumni. Rutherfoord Memorial Gardens, named for Thomas ’37 and Dona Rutherfoord, feature bench areas and pathways. The gardens were made possible through the generosity of Mr. Rutherfoord and his sons, Thomas and Walton. Thomas Rutherfoord was a 1937 graduate of Roanoke College and a member of the Roanoke College Board of Trustees from 1986 to 2001. He was best known as the founder of the insurance firm, Thomas Rutherfoord, Inc. He died in 2003.
John’s Bridge is the stone bridge at the intersection of Thompson Memorial Drive and Peery Drive, named for John Mulheren. The bridge was made possible through the generosity of Nancy Mulheren ‘72, a member of the Roanoke College Board of Trustees, in honor of her husband, a 1971 graduate of Roanoke College and a former member of the Board of Trustees. John Mulheren died in 2003.
Construction on the new entrance began in 2004 and was completed this summer.
For additional information, please contact the Roanoke College Public Relations Office at (540) 375-2282 or 815-2421 (cell).
View pictures of the dedication online at http://www.roanoke.edu/gallery/newentrancededication/.