Update on carbon monoxide incident, July 17, 4 p.m.

Randy Webb, a member of Roanoke College’s maintenance staff, installs a carbon monoxide alarm in Bartlett Hall.
SALEM, VA -- The last patient who had been hospitalized after the carbon monoxide incident at Roanoke College was discharged Monday morning from Lewis-Gale Medical Center, according to the hospital spokesperson.

On Monday, the college also continued installing carbon monoxide monitors in several residence halls.  The monitors are not required by law, but the campus announced that they would be installed not only in all residence halls but in all other campus buildings as well.

“Providing for the safety of our entire campus community is our top priority,” said Teresa Gereaux, director of public relations.

The campus also lowered its Roanoke College flag to half-mast on Monday in honor of the Rev. Walter J. Vierling, a 91-year-old retired minister from Pearisburg, Va., who passed away while staying in the affected residence halls.