NOTE: This model is intended to guide you in the development of the constitution which will be useful for your particular organization. You may wish to add additional articles, sections, by-laws or amendments to your constitution.
This document is PRINTABLE, to do so click on "Printer-friendly version" at the bottom of the page.
Article I. NAME
The name of our group shall be _________________________ at Roanoke College.
Article II. PURPOSE
The purpose of our organization shall be _________________________.
Article III. MEMBERSHIP
Membership is open to any person of the Roanoke College community.
Article IV. OFFICERS
- Section 1. The officers of the group shall be:
- a. President
- b. Vice-President
- c. Secretary
- d. Treasurer
- e. Faculty Advisor
The officers, shall be elected by a majority of the voting membership of the organization in annual elections. Elections will be held at the _________________ (first, second, September, April, etc) meeting of _______________________ (Fall, Spring) Term of each year.
The Faculty Advisor shall be elected by a majority of the voting membership in an annual election immediately following officer elections.
The term of office for the officers and the faculty adviser will be from January 1 of the regular calendar year through December 31 of the same year.
A member must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better in order to be eligible to hold an office. If an member's grade point average drops below a 2.0 during his time of office, then s/he must resign that office.
Vacancies of office shall be filled by a special election at the meeting after the vacancy occurs.
Article V. MEETINGS
Regular meetings will be held ______________. (Use specific time if such time will not change from year to year or term to term. Otherwise, use less specific time such as "the first Monday of each month" or "at a time agreed upon by the majority of the members.")
Special meetings may be called by the President or upon request of any ________________ (number) active members.
All members shall be notified of a special meeting at least ________ (number of days) before the time of the special meeting.
A quorum shall consist of ________________. (two-thirds of the membership, a simple majority of the membership, etc.)
Article VI. FUNDING
All finances shall be handled in accordance with the established procedures in effect for the college outlined in the Student Organization Handbook.
In the event of the loss of the group's recognition, any funds remaining in the college funds account shall revert to Student Life Council.
Article VII. AMENDMENTS
Proposed amendments to this constitution or the by-laws of the constitution shall be presented at a regular meeting at least one meeting prior to being discussed and voted upon.
Have been properly presented, amendments may be adopted by ____________ (a simple majority, two-thirds of the voting members, etc.) vote of the membership at a regular meeting.
Amendments shall go into effect _________________________________. (immediately upon adoption, thirty days following adoption, etc.)
The dues shall be ___________ (amount). Dues are payable ______________ (time).
Article II. DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- Section I. The duties of the President shall be to:
- a. Call any additional meetings.
- b. Preside over all meetings.
- c. Represent the organization as needed on and off the Roanoke College campus.
- d. Consult with the Faculty Advisor all current concerns and activities.
- Section 2. The duties of the Vice-President shall be to:
- a. Assume the duties of the President if he/she is unable to carry them out.
- b. Assist the President in administering the business of the group.
- Section 3. The duties of the Secretary shall be to:
- a. Record minutes of each group meeting.
- b. Conduct any major correspondence concerning the group as a whole.
- Section 4. The duties of the Treasurer shall be to:
- a. Keep a record of all financial documents and submit all financial records to the Student Activities Office when required for audit.
- b. Sign all financial documents.
- c. Turn in all financial records for re-issue to the new Treasurer when required.
- Section 5. The role of the Faculty Advisor shall be:
- a. Assist the officers of the organization in any necessary business.
- b. Act as a liaison to the faculty and administration.
- c. Attend meetings when possible.
Article III. COMMITTEES
The committees of the group will be formed as the need arises.
Each committee will have a chairperson who is to be elected by the committee.
All members of the organization shall be able to hold office, and/or serve on a committee of their choice.
The term of office for the officers and the committee chairs will be from March of the regular academic year, to March of the following year.
- Baseball2:00 PM, Sun, 04/20/14
- Junior Open House9:45 AM, Mon, 04/21/14 - Mon, 04/21/14
- Softball6:00 PM, Mon, 04/21/14
- Spring Visit Days9:00 AM, Tue, 04/22/14 - Fri, 04/25/14
- Baccalaureate 20144:30 PM, Fri, 05/02/14 - Fri, 05/02/14
- Roanoke College Choir, Oriana Singers Farewell Concert7:30 PM, Fri, 05/02/14 - Fri, 05/02/14
- Commencement 201410:00 AM, Sat, 05/03/14 - Sat, 05/03/14