Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to make an appointment to be seen at Health Services?
- How much does it cost to be seen by Health Services?
- Do you have ‘real doctors’ and nurse practitioners?
- There is a health services hold on my account. What should I do?
- I graduated a few years ago. How do I get a copy of my shot record?
- Can I get required immunizations at RoanokeCollege?
- I missed class and now my professor says I need a note. Can Health Services help me?
- Can I be tested for STD’s (Sexually Transmitted Disease and Infections)?
- Do you offer birth control services?
- Can I count on my health information remaining private?
- I’m on medicine for ADD. Can I get it refilled at Health Services?
Do I need to make an appointment to be seen at Health Services?
We encourage you to make an appointment to ensure as little waiting as possible. We are able to see most students with 24 hours, although you may have to schedule further in advance for women’s health exams, sports physicals and other specialized services. We do our best to work in students who have an urgent medical situation, but it is best to call ahead to minimize delays. You can make an appointment by calling 540-375-2286.
How much does it cost to be seen by Health Services?
Office visits are free to students. There is a charge for lab tests, injections, certain procedures and special examinations, but the cost is generally substantially less than elsewhere.
Do you have ‘real doctors’ and nurse practitioners?
Yes, Health Services has licensed physicians and family nurse practitioners.
There is a health services hold on my account. What should I do?
The hold is probably due to an incomplete health record. Contact Health Services to determine what you are missing.
I graduated a few years ago. How do I get a copy of my shot record?
Mail or fax a signed request to Health Services listing the information needed along with your full name, date of birth and Student ID or Social Security number.
Can I get required immunizations at Roanoke College?
Yes, most immunizations are available for a fee. Contact Health Services to make an appointment.
I missed class and now my professor says I need a note. Can Health Services help me?
Health Services does not provide written notes for students who miss class because of illness or injury. It is the responsibility of the student to communicate with faculty regarding absences. Professors have their own policies governing class attendance. With the students’ permission, we will provide information to professors regarding student visits.
Can I be tested for STD’s (Sexually Transmitted Disease and Infections)?
Yes, we offer testing for a variety of STD’s for both women and men.
Do you offer birth control services?
Yes, we provide a full array of contraceptive options and we will help you explore what birth control method will best meet your needs. Free condoms are available in the self-care area in the waiting room. Plan B, emergency contraception, is also available in the Health Center as well as over the counter in most pharmacies.
Can I count on my health information remaining private?
Yes, all information in your record is confidential. Access to information contained in your file is limited to you, the patient, and Health Services personnel, unless you give written permission to release it, except by court order.
I’m on medicine for ADD. Can I get it refilled at Health Services?
Yes. You must submit a recent medical summary form from the primary prescribing physician stating the name and dosage of the medication along with the diagnosis. You will be asked to sign and adhere to our Controlled Drug Policy and complete a brief monthly visit with the nurse.
- Men's Basketball4:00 PM, Fri, 12/19/14
- Women's Basketball12:00 PM, Fri, 12/19/14
- CAB- Bingo9:00 PM, Fri, 01/16/15 - Fri, 01/16/15
- Catholic Mass on Campus5:00 PM, Sun, 01/18/15 - Sun, 01/18/15
- Maroon Visit Day12:45 PM, Mon, 01/19/15 - Mon, 01/19/15
- Performing Arts Series presents American Shakespeare Center "Much Ado About Nothing"7:30 PM, Mon, 01/19/15 - Mon, 01/19/15
- Kandinsky Trio Series: The Russian Experience7:30 PM, Sat, 01/24/15 - Sat, 01/24/15