Spring Break 2015
Spring Break Information
- For Spring Break, all residence halls (except Elizabeth, Afton and Catawba Halls) will close at 9:00am on Saturday, February 28th and will reopen at noon on Sunday, March 8th.
- Students may request to stay on campus over Spring Break.
Requesting to Stay over Spring Break
- Residents of Elizabeth, Afton and Catawba may request to stay for all of the break period.
- In order to stay over break, residents must submit a Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods form no later than 4:30pm on Wednesday, February 26th.
- There will be a $35 processing fee for requests made after 4:30pm on Wednesday, February 26th and before 4:30pm on February 27th.
- No requests will be considered after 4:30pm on February 27th.
If the request is for a college sponsored event such as a sport, activity, or job, residents may request to stay over break at no charge.
If the request to stay is for a reason other than a college sponsored event, the resident may request to stay at a rate of $35 per night.
Payment is due in exact cash or check to the Office of Residence Life and Housing by March 14, 2014. Payments after this date will be charged to student accounts and fined a late fee of $10.
Residents of Elizabeth, Afton, and Catawba Halls must still submit a Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods form, though there will be no additional cost to stay over break.
Spring Break Procedures for Residents
Residents are asked to prepare their rooms for Spring Break before leaving. This includes:
- locking all windows
- lowering blinds
- unplugging all electrical sources (Except fish tanks, if applicable)
- turning off faucets
- unplugging and defrosting refrigerators (leave door open)
- emptying any trash
- turning off alarm clocks
- locking the door
- signing the sign-out sheet on your door
A residence life staff member will be checking rooms for the proper closing preparations to ensure the safety of the room over the long break. Residents are responsible for any violations discovered during closing procedures or for failure to follow closing procedures.
Frequently Asked Questions about Spring Break
Why do students have to pay to stay for Spring Break?
The amount calculated for housing costs only covers the amount of nights that students are determined to be in their rooms in the school year. The additional cost of $35 per night allows the Office of Residence Life and Housing to hire additional staff members to work over the break to ensure the safety of our residents.
Will the Office of Residence Life and Housing be open over Spring Break?
The Office of Residence Life and Housing will be open from 8:00am - 4:30pm on weekdays.
Why do Elizabeth, Afton and Catawba Halls remain open when others are not?
Elizabeth and Afton are more self-sustaining buildings, as they have private kitchens and require less staffing to supervise and are better able to run independently. Catawba Hall remains open because, as our Global Village, it has many international students who cannot return home for Spring Break. Because we know some students do not want to or are not able to go home for Winter Break, we also selected these buildings so that they may remain on campus. For students who are interested in having this option, it is strongly encouraged that they consider choosing Elizabeth, Afton or Catawba in the next housing selection.
- What if I want to stay for a few days, then leave, and come back early? Can I do that?
Yes. Please make sure to specify when you will be here when you are filling out your request to stay.
What if there is an emergency? Will there be staff available?
Resident Advisors and an Area Coordinator on duty will be available if needed by residents. If there is an emergency, residents are urged to call Campus Safety at 540-375-2310.
Will the Commons be open during break?
Unfortunately, the Commons will not be open during break due to the small amount of students on campus.
- Men's Basketball4:00 PM, Fri, 01/02/15
- Women's Basketball4:00 PM, Sat, 01/03/15
- CAB- Bingo9:00 PM, Fri, 01/16/15 - Fri, 01/16/15
- Catholic Mass on Campus5:00 PM, Sun, 01/18/15 - Sun, 01/18/15
- Maroon Visit Day12:45 PM, Mon, 01/19/15 - Mon, 01/19/15
- Performing Arts Series presents American Shakespeare Center "Much Ado About Nothing"7:30 PM, Mon, 01/19/15 - Mon, 01/19/15
- Kandinsky Trio Series: The Russian Experience7:30 PM, Sat, 01/24/15 - Sat, 01/24/15