Winter Break 2014
Winter Break Information
- For Winter Break, all residence halls (except Elizabeth, Afton and Catawba Halls and New Hall apartments) will close at noon on Saturday, December 13 and will reopen at noon on Sunday, January 11, 2015.
- Students must vacate their rooms 24 hours after their last final, or, if their last final is on Friday, December 12, by noon on Saturday, December 13th.
Requesting to Stay over Winter Break
- Residents in halls other than Elizabeth, Afton or Catawba Halls or New Hall apartments may request to stay for all or part of Winter Break with the exception of December 23 through January 4, when the College will be closed. Residents are required to vacate their rooms by noon on December 23 and are allowed back into their rooms at noon on January 5, 2015.
- Residents of Elizabeth, Afton and Catawba and New Hall apartments may request to stay for all of the break period.
- In order to remain during break, residents must submit a Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods form, by 4:30pm on Wednesday, December 10.
- There is a $35 processing fee for requests made after 4:30pm on Wednesday, December 10, 2014 and before 4:30pm on Thursday, December 11, 2014.
- No requests will be considered after Thursday, December 11 at 4:30pm.
If the request is for a College sponsored event such as a sport, activity, or campus job, residents may request to stay over break at no charge.
If the request to stay is for a reason other than a College sponsored event, the resident may request to stay at a rate of $35 per night.
Payment is due in the Residence Life and Housing office by Friday, January 16, 2015. Payments after this date will be charged to student accounts with an additional late fee of $10.
Residents of Elizabeth, Afton, and Catawba Halls and New Hall apartments must still submit a Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods form, though there will be no additional cost to stay over break.
Winter Break Procedures for Residents
Residents are asked to prepare their rooms for Winter Break before leaving. This includes:
- close and lock all windows
- lower blinds
- unplug all electrical sources (except fish tanks)
- turn off faucets
- unplug and defrost personal refrigerators (leave door open)
- empty trash
- turn off alarm clocks
- turn down heat, turn off wall unit, or lower thermostat to 65 degrees (options vary by building)
- close and lock the door
- sign Winter Break Closing sheet on your door
A Residence Life and Housing staff member will check rooms for proper closing preparations to ensure the safety and security of the room over the long break. Residents are responsible for any violations discovered during closing procedures or for failure to follow closing procedures.
Additionally, residents who reside in default singles are required to prepare their rooms in case they receive a new roommate for the next semester. Guidelines for making these preparations can be found here.
Frequently Asked Questions about Winter Break
Why do students have to pay to stay for Winter Break?
The amount calculated for housing costs only covers the amount of nights that students are determined to be in their rooms in the school year. The additional cost of $35 per night allows the Residence Life and Housing staff to hire additional students to work over the break to ensure the safety of our residents.
Will the Residence Life and Housing office be open over Winter Break?
The Residence Life and Housing office will be open from 8:00am - 4:30pm on weekdays, except for after noon on Tuesday, December 23 through Sunday, January 4, 2015. The office will reopen on Monday, January 5, 2015 at 8:00 am.
Why do Elizabeth, Afton and Catawba Halls and New Hall apartments remain open when others are not?
Elizabeth and Afton Halls and New Hall apartments are more self-sustaining areas, as they have private kitchens and require less staffing to supervise and are better able to run independently. Catawba Hall remains open because, as our Global Village, it has many international students who cannot return home for Winter Break. Because we know some students do not want to or are not able to go home for Winter Break, we also selected these buildings so that they may remain on campus. For students who are interested in having this option, it is strongly encouraged that they consider choosing Elizabeth, Afton or Catawba or New Hall apartments in the next housing selection.
- What if I want to stay for a few days, then leave, and come back early? Can I do that?
Residents of Elizabeth, Afton and Catawba Halls and New Hall apartments may stay for all or part of Winter Break. All other residents may stay for all or part of the break except for the time between December 23 to January 4 when the College is closed. Please specify this when submitting your form.
What if there is an emergency? Will there be staff available?
Except for the period between December 23 and January 4, limited Residence Life and Housing staff is available. If there is an emergency, residents are urged to call Campus Safety at 540-375-2310.
Will the Commons be open during break?
The Commons is not open during break. It is closed beginning Saturday, December 13 and will reopen on Monday, January 12.
- Alpha Phi Omega Interest Meeting7:00 PM, Mon, 01/26/15 - Mon, 01/26/15
- Women's Basketball7:00 PM, Tue, 01/27/15
- Alpha Phi Omega Information Session7:00 PM, Wed, 01/28/15 - Wed, 01/28/15
- Poster Sale10:00 AM, Wed, 01/28/15 - Wed, 01/28/15
- Men's Basketball7:00 PM, Wed, 01/28/15
- Interview Session6:00 PM, Thu, 01/29/15 - Thu, 01/29/15
- Interview Session4:00 PM, Thu, 01/29/15 - Thu, 01/29/15