Fall Break 2014
- All residence halls except Elizabeth, Afton, and Catawba Halls and New Hall apartments close at 9:00AM on Saturday, October 11th and reopen at 12:00PM on Sunday, October 19th.
- You may request to stay in your room for all or part of the break. ALL requests must be made by October 8th using the Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods form.
There is a $35 processing fee for requests made after 4:30pm on October 8th and before 4:30pm on October 9th.
No requests will be accepted after 4:30pm on October 9th.
- If the request is for a College sponsored event such as a seasonal sport, activity, or campus job, residents may request to stay over break at no charge.
- If the request to stay is for a reason other than a College sponsored event, the resident may request to stay at a rate of $35 per night.
Payment is due to the Office of Residence Life and Housing no later than October 24, 2014. Payments after this date will be charged to student accounts and assessed an additional $10 late fee.
Residents of Elizabeth, Afton, and Catawba Halls and New Hall apartments may stay at no charge but must still submit a Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods form.
FAQs about Break Closings
- Why do students have to pay to stay during breaks?
The amount you pay for room and board only covers a pre-calculated number of nights specific to each term. Breaks are not included in the calculation. The additional cost of $35 per night allows the Office of Residence Life and Housing to hire additional staff members to work over breaks to help encourage the safety of our residents.
- Will the residence halls be locked during breaks?
The residence halls will remain locked during breaks. Card access will be disabled during breaks. Only those students who receive permission to remain on campus during the breaks will have access.
- Will the Office of Residence Life and Housing be open during the breaks?
The Office of Residence Life and Housing will open regular hours throughout Fall and Spring Breaks, from 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. The entire campus will close during Thanksgiving break and for the period of time between December 23 and January 5.
- What if I want to stay for a few days, then leave, and come back early? Can I do that?
Yes, you can stay for whichever nights of break you would like. Please specify this when submitting your form.
- What if there is an emergency? Will there be staff available?
Resident Advisors and an Area Coordinator on duty will be available if needed by residents. If there is an emergency, residents are urged to call Campus Safety at 540-375-2310.
- Will the Commons be open during breaks?
The Commons is closed during all breaks due to the reduced number of students on campus during breaks.
- Relay for Life Kick-Off Week Dodgeball 7:00 PM, Sat, 10/25/14 - Sat, 10/25/14
- Women's Volleyball1:00 PM, Sat, 10/25/14
- Women's Volleyball11:00 AM, Sat, 10/25/14
- Catholic Mass on Campus5:00 PM, Sun, 10/26/14 - Sun, 10/26/14
- Diwali Festival: Indian Cooking Class4:00 PM, Thu, 10/30/14 - Thu, 10/30/14
- Roanoke Haunting: Haunted House6:00 PM, Fri, 10/31/14 - Fri, 10/31/14
- Relay For Life Trick or Treat 12:00 PM, Fri, 10/31/14 - Fri, 10/31/14