Thanksgiving Break 2013
All residence halls except Elizabeth, Afton, and Catawba Halls close at 9:00AM on Wednesday, November 27th and reopen at 12:00PM on Sunday, December 1st.
- You may request to stay in your residence hall for all or part of the break. ALL requests must be made by 4:30pm on November 22nd, 2013 using the Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods form.
- There will be a $35 processing fee for requests made after 4:30pm on November 22, 2013 and before 4:30pm on November 25, 2013.
- No requests will be accepted after Monday, November 25th at 4:30pm.
If the request is for a college sponsored event such as a sport, activity, or job, residents may request to stay over break at no charge.
If the request to stay is for a reason other than a college sponsored event, the resident may request to stay at a rate of $35 per night.
Payment is due in exact cash or check to the Office of Residence Life and Housing by December 6, 2013. Payments after this date will be charged to student accounts and fined a late fee of $10.
Residents of Elizabeth, Afton, and Catawba Halls must still submit a Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods form, though there will be no additional cost to stay over break.
Frequently Asked Questions about Thanksgiving Break Closing
Why do students have to pay to stay for Thanksgiving Break?
The amount calculated for housing costs only covers the amount of nights that students are determined to be in their rooms in the school year. The additional cost of $35 per night allows the Office of Residence Life and Housing to hire additional staff members to work over break to ensure the safety of our residents.
- Will the residence halls be locked over break?
Yes, the residence halls will all be locked over break. For students whose halls have card access, they will be unable to enter their hall unless they have been approved to stay over Thanksgiving break. In order to protect the safety and security of our students, card access will be turned off for all students who do not have permission to stay. Card access will be restored beginning at noon on Sunday, December 1st.
Will the Office of Residence Life and Housing be open over Thanksgiving Break?
The Office of Residence Life and Housing will be closed on Thursday, November 28th and Friday, November 29th. In the case of an emergency, please contact Campus Safety at 540-375-2310.
What if there is an emergency? Will there be staff available?
Resident Advisors and an Area Coordinator on duty will be available if needed by residents. If there is an emergency, residents are urged to call Campus Safety at 540-375-2310.
Will the Commons be open during break?
The Commons will be closed starting November 27th. It will reopen for dinner on Sunday, December 1st.
- Winter Cocktail7:00 PM, Thu, 12/12/13 - Thu, 12/12/13
- Handel�s �Messiah� and Vivaldi�s �Gloria� - 5:00PM SHOW5:00 PM, Sun, 12/15/13 - Sun, 12/15/13
- Handel�s �Messiah� and Vivaldi�s �Gloria� - 2:30PM SHOW2:30 PM, Sun, 12/15/13 - Sun, 12/15/13
- Women's Basketball8:00 PM, Mon, 12/16/13
- Women's Basketball2:00 PM, Tue, 12/17/13
- Baby Blanket Making7:00 PM, Wed, 01/15/14 - Wed, 01/15/14
- Songs of the Civil Rights5:00 PM, Sun, 01/19/14 - Sun, 01/19/14