Winter Break 2013
Winter Break Information
- For Winter Break, all residence halls (except Elizabeth, Afton and Catawba Halls) will close at noon on Saturday, December 14th and will reopen at noon on Sunday, January 12, 2014.
- Students must vacate their rooms 24 hours after their last final, or, if their last final is on Friday, December 13th, by noon on Saturday, December 14th.
Requesting to Stay over Winter Break
- Residents who are not in Elizabeth, Afton or Catawba Halls may request to stay for all or part of Winter Break with the exception of December 21st through January 1st, when the College will be closed. Residents would be required to vacate their rooms by noon on December 21st and would be allowed back into their rooms at noon on January 2nd.
- Residents of Elizabeth, Afton and Catawba may request to stay for all of the break period.
- In order to stay over break, residents must submit a Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods form, by 4:30pm on Wednesday, December 11th.
- There will be a $35 processing fee for requests made after 4:30pm on December 11, 2013 and before 4:30pm on December 12, 2013.
- No requests will be considered after Thursday, December 12th at 4:30pm.
If the request is for a college sponsored event such as a sport, activity, or job, residents may request to stay over break at no charge.
If the request to stay is for a reason other than a college sponsored event, the resident may request to stay at a rate of $35 per night.
Payment is due in exact cash or check to the Office of Residence Life and Housing by January 9, 2014. Payments after this date will be charged to student accounts and fined a late fee of $10.
Residents of Elizabeth, Afton, and Catawba Halls must still submit a Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods form, though there will be no additional cost to stay over break.
Winter Break Procedures for Residents
Residents are asked to prepare their rooms for Winter Break before leaving. This includes:
- locking all windows
- lowering blinds
- unplugging all electrical sources (Except fish tanks, if applicable)
- turning off faucets
- unplugging and defrosting refrigerators (leave door open)
- emptying any trash
- turning off alarm clocks
- locking the door
- signing the sign-out sheet on your door
A residence life staff member will be checking rooms for the proper closing preparations to ensure the safety of the room over the long break. Residents are responsible for any violations discovered during closing procedures or for failure to follow closing procedures.
Additionally, residents who reside in default singles are required to prepare their rooms in case they receive a new roommate for the next semester. Guidelines for making these preparations can be found here.
Frequently Asked Questions about Winter Break
Why do students have to pay to stay for Winter Break?
The amount calculated for housing costs only covers the amount of nights that students are determined to be in their rooms in the school year. The additional cost of $35 per night allows the Office of Residence Life and Housing to hire additional staff members to work over the break to ensure the safety of our residents.
Will the Office of Residence Life and Housing be open over Winter Break?
The Office of Residence Life and Housing will be open from 8:00am - 4:30pm on weekdays, except for December 23rd through January 1st. The office will reopen on Thursday, January 2nd, 2014 at 8:00am.
Why do Elizabeth, Afton and Catawba Halls remain open when others are not?
Elizabeth and Afton are more self-sustaining buildings, as they have private kitchens and require less staffing to supervise and are better able to run independently. Catawba Hall remains open because, as our Global Village, it has many international students who cannot return home for Winter Break. Because we know some students do not want to or are not able to go home for Winter Break, we also selected these buildings so that they may remain on campus. For students who are interested in having this option, it is strongly encouraged that they consider choosing Elizabeth, Afton or Catawba in the next housing selection.
- What if I want to stay for a few days, then leave, and come back early? Can I do that?
Residents of Elizabeth, Afton and Catawba Halls may stay for all or part of Winter Break. All other residents may stay for all or part of the break except for the time between December 23rd to January 2nd, when the College will be closed. Please specify this when submitting your form.
What if there is an emergency? Will there be staff available?
Resident Advisors and an Area Coordinator on duty will be available if needed by residents. If there is an emergency, residents are urged to call Campus Safety at 540-375-2310.
Will the Commons be open during break?
Unfortunately, the Commons will not be open during break due to the small amount of students on campus. It will be closed beginning Saturday, December 14th and will reopen on Monday, January 12th.
- Men's Lacrosse4:00 PM, Wed, 03/12/14
- Softball3:00 PM, Wed, 03/12/14
- Noche de Teatro Biling�e: A Bilingual Night of Theatre7:00 PM, Thu, 03/13/14 - Thu, 03/13/14
- Oriana Singers with Virginia Glee Club6:00 PM, Fri, 03/14/14 - Fri, 03/14/14
- Tif Robinette Performance6:00 PM, Fri, 03/14/14 - Fri, 03/14/14
- Folksingers Erin & Monica - Women's Voices in Music 8:00 PM, Fri, 03/14/14 - Fri, 03/14/14
- Kandinsky Trio Concert Series �Double Finale�7:30 PM, Sat, 03/15/14 - Sat, 03/15/14