Finding the Perfect Place
This may be your first experience with renting accommodations away from home. We hope that this information will help make your first rental experience hassle-free.
It is probably best to start by acquainting yourself with the types of rental accommodations available in the area. In addition to apartments, there are houses, condominiums, and townhouses available. Give yourself plenty of time to find a place that suits your needs and your lifestyle.
Property Management Agencies are listed on the web, in the phone book yellow pages, and with established apartment complexes. Check the classified ads in the local papers and, of course, there's always word of mouth.
In choosing a place to live, it might be helpful to ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I want roommates? (A word of caution- the City regulates how many roommates you can have!)
- Do I want a yard? Do I have the time and the resources to maintain it?
- How far away from campus do I want to live? (Remember that you must register to park on campus and that off-campus parking near the College is strictly regulated and enforced!)
- In what section of Salem do I want to live? Do I want to extend my search into the greater Roanoke Valley?
- Is alternative transportation available (city bus service)?
- What kind of amenities do I want? (For example, washer/dryer, pool, tennis courts, fitness center).
March 1 - 10
March 18 - 23