Step 2: Determining Eligibility
Before continuing in the pursuit of an off-campus release, students should be aware of their eligibility to be a commuter student and also of their eligibility to select an off-campus spot.
Are you eligible to be a commuter?
Students may be commuters if they meet the following criteria:
- have lived in the Roanoke Valley area (within 30 miles of campus) for at least six months preceding the date of first enrollment and continue to reside with their parent(s) or guardian(s);
- are married;
- live with grandparents, or siblings who live in the Roanoke Valley area;
- are 23 years old (before the beginning of the term they desire to live off campus);
- are military veterans;
- are enrolled part-time (students who claim off campus status due to part-time enrollment and who return to full-time status during the current or a subsequent semester, will be charged the current room and board rate);
- have received and accepted prior approval by the Residence Life and Housing staff and currently live off-campus.
If you meet this criteria and would like to be a commuter, you should submit a Request for Commuter Status Form to the Office of Residence Life & Housing. If you know you would like to be a commuter and you will not participate in housing selection, please let our office know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you do not meet the criteria to be a commuter, please see the off-campus eligibility requirements below before moving on to the next step.
- Students who have received and accepted off campus offers in the past and have since moved back on campus are not eligible for off campus release unless they again receive release by participating in the housing selection process;
- Students who are currently on disciplinary probation or in the first semester of substance abuse probation may not participate in the off campus selection process unless an exception is made.
Continue on the next step: Preparing for Housing Selection
The Steps to Seeking an Off-Campus Release
Step 1: Knowing the Facts | Step 2: Determining Eligibility | Step 3: Preparing for Housing Selection
Step 4: Going through Housing Selection | Step 5: Submitting an Appeal
- BSA and RCAD Halloween Dance Party11:00 PM, Fri, 10/31/14 - Fri, 10/31/14
- Roanoke Haunting: Haunted House6:00 PM, Fri, 10/31/14 - Fri, 10/31/14
- CHIyOga3:00 PM, Sat, 11/01/14 - Sat, 11/01/14
- Men's Cross Country11:00 AM, Sat, 11/01/14
- Women's Volleyball11:00 AM, Sat, 11/01/14
- Roanoke Haunting: Haunted House6:00 PM, Sat, 11/01/14 - Sat, 11/01/14
- Catholic Mass on Campus5:00 PM, Sun, 11/02/14 - Sun, 11/02/14