Commuter Student Requirements
A students may be a commuter if he or she:
- has lived in the Roanoke Valley area (within 30 miles of campus) for at least six months preceding the date of first enrollment and continue to reside with their parent(s)/guardian(s);
- is married;
- lives with grandparents, or siblings who live in the Roanoke Valley area;
- is 23 years old (before the beginning of the term they desire to live off campus)
- have/will have a dependent child prior to the beginning of term he or she desires to live off campus (student must provide documentation of pregnancy or birth certificate of dependent child);
- is a military veteran;
- is enrolled part-time (students who claim off campus status due to part-time enrollment and who return to full-time status during the current or a subsequent semester, will be charged the current room and board rate);
- has received and accepted prior approval by the Residence Life and Housing staff and are currently living off-campus.
Becoming a Commuter Student
If you have previously been living on-campus
If you have been previously living on campus but would like to become a commuter and are eligible, please fill out a Request for Change in Residency Status Form and return it to the Office of Residence Life and Housing.
If you choose an on campus space, then return to commuter status after June 15, you will lose $300 of your deposit. If you return to commuter status after the 2015-2016 academic year begins, you will forfeit any housing fees paid.
If you would like to be a commuter student and you are choosing not to go through housing selection, please let the Office of Residence Life & Housing know as soon as possible.
Commuter Student Resources
All students who commute have access to the Commuter Student lounge in the basement of Crawford.